Saturday, February 28, 2015

A Epic day of fishing on board the Magic Moon Quepos, Costa Rica

 

We got to the dock in Quepos at 7:30am to board the Magic Moon for our day of fishing, Mike is our Captain along with 2 mate, Luiz & Baynair.



We went out 47 miles off shore, dropped lines 9:00am,


 and 9:10 first fish of the day. It was mine a nice size Mahi Mahi, at least I know we will be having a good dinner tonight.



   A pod of whales swam by and I finally got to see a whale. It all happened quickly, no time for pictures just enjoyed seeing them.


  9:45am I got my first Sailfish. It is hard work reeling them in but so much fun, George needed to help me a bit with this one.  We are of course releasing them but they do bring it on board for a photo. There is nothing like having a 100 plus fish put into your arms right out of the ocean.

 

Luiz filleted up some of the Mahi for us and we enjoyed fresh sashimi.


 Delicious!

10:30 George is turn to bring in a sailfish.




Just a few minutes later it was my turn again.


 Since I was a newbie at catching sailfish I got to get one more picture.


It puts to much stress on the fish, better to release them in the water which is fine by me now that I know.




 At 11:30, it was George's turn again
 

followed by one for me a few minutes later.


No more help I am on my own. We got 4 more between Noon and 1:20pm each taking a turn.


What fun it is watching them jumping in the water.



George was reeling one in when the Luiz asked if we wanted to jump in and take a picture in the water.



Seriously, 47 miles off shore and he wants us to jump in. Hell yes was the answer.



Things were happening fast as the fish was near the boat, life jackets put on, camera, fish off the hook, now jump.






Here we were next to this beautiful fish, it was a amazing experience.


I tried to get some good pictures but so much was happening and you want to just experience it all. Now to get back on the boat, I figured they can pull 100pd plus fish on board they can get me up as well.

  The swam felt great! It was a hot day with little to cool you down.
 We ended the day with a double hit to end the day at 2:30pm, 1 for each of us.



What a incredible day of fishing.



     11 Sailfish and 1 Mahi Mahi! 
Before we left for fishing George said we would catch 13 for the day, 1 short of his prediction.



 We enjoyed a cold cerveza on the ride in as the sun was starting its set.


 Great Crew!

12 comments:

  1. This is awesome ! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some amazing pics, very jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing the color difference of southern mahi and northerns. those smaller ones we have up here sure do have an awesome gold color to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That must have been exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are living the dream!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incredible pictures and trip. Has been so much fun following.....and so ice to see water and sun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill you never cease to amaze me Nice catch !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! What a great experience. Can add that to your list of accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to go on that same fishing trip

    ReplyDelete