Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving




Thanksgivings, a day of giving thanks and blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year. – Wikipedia

I have not thought of myself as someone who is very traditional, in the sense of holidays especially Thanksgiving.  That being said, today since I am not cooking I have been thinking about past Thanksgivings. I remember the first Thanksgivings George & I hosted, we were in our early 20’s, in a small apartment, & had 15 people there for a sit down dinner. There were years we were guests at friend’s parent’s houses. 

 

Once we had kids and they got older we used the time off from school for a family vacation. We have been very fortunate to have spent Thanksgiving in places like Costa Rica, Mexico, Captiva, Jamaica, and the Outer Banks NC.  Generally we didn’t even have turkey on Thanksgiving Days. One year we had ice cream for dinner, yes that is right 16 scoops, 8 toppings, and 4 different sauces.

No matter where we were, who we were with, or what we ate the one constant thing was, we as a family were together. We sat down to a meal together and took a minute to give thanks. Maybe I am more traditional than I thought.

Today I reflect on all those friends and family past and present who have been part of my life. I am thankful for all of them.

I am thankful to my parents who even though were divorced somehow bestowed a strong sense of family and how important it is. I am thankful for my husband George who has been by my side for 30 years. I am thankful for my children who give me so much joy in life. I hope that I have passed to them the tradition of family and the importance of giving thanks for those in your life.

 Happy Thanksgiving, Eat, drink, Travel, and most of all be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment