Friday, July 15, 2011

Michael's on The Bay - Barnegat NJ

We have been reading about a new restaurant that has opened in Barnegat at Sun Harbor Bay Club. It is one you can go by boat which is always a fun outing. So yesterday we gathered up the troops for afternoon boat ride and lunch at the new Michael’s on the Bay.
 It was easy to find by boat right off marker 42 and there were plenty of slips to dock. We have found that to be a problem in other restaurants we go to by boat, you get there and no place to dock. This should never be the problem there. 


 Michael’s on the Bay is owned by Michael Selvanto or “Uncle Mike”as he is known was a music producer and concert promoter. I did some checking and found he is known for organizing the Live 8 concert in Philadelphia in 2005.
 When we arrived Michael himself was there to seat us and take our order. He talked a bit about the restaurant and we asked some questions about his days of producing. He was friendly, pleasant, but didn’t get many stories. He did tell us he drives a white Corvette. During Live 8 he had performers and celebrities signing the car to show their support. He had over 40 signatures on the corvette in support of the cause.  I found on the internet some of the celebrities that signed: Paula Abdul, Jon Bon Jovi, Jimmy Smits, Chris Tucker, Richie Sambora, Dave Matthews, Def Leppard, Linkin Park, Kaiser Chiefs, Will Smith, Josh Groban, Anna Nicole Smith, Al Sharpton, MelJackson, Russel Simmons, Robbie Schriver, Don Cheadle, and Tony Austin. 

  The restaurant was nice, you could eat inside or outside on the deck overlooking the Barnegat Bay. We sat outside. The menu had a wide selection from breakfast, sandwiches, snacks, to full dinners.  We tried a few different things, corn nuggets, Michael’s garlic bread with pepperoni gravy, Shrimp Po Boys, Fried clams, his signature burger, and everything was very good.  Right now it is still BYOB but Mike says that will all change soon.  He has many other changes for the restaurant as well. 

 Of course he does have live music on the weekends. We will have to go and check that out one night.  It was a fun day and we will be back again.

If you go let me know what you think of the restaurant.
Michael's on the Bay is open Friday and Saturday, 6 AM until ???? During the week (Sunday thru Thursday) 6 AM to 9 PM. Go by car or boat great spot.

14 comments:

  1. We were at Michael's this past weekend. It has great view but we found the food to be only okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently visited this place with my son. Must have picked the worst day ever. We both ordered the same thing, after 30 minutes we were told that the appetizerwe wanted was not available. After another 20 minutes the Chef tells us the oven broke and it will take longer because he had to cook the food in the pizza oven. After waiting for over an hour our meal (stuffed flounder) was NOT COOKED. When I asked the Chef to kindly put it back in the oven, he was insulted but did it and it still came back undercooked. He insisted it was done. WRONG WRONG WRONG. Worst meal and service I have experienced in a long time. Then to top it off. After knowing how dis-satisfied we were, nothing was offered, no discount on the food, no apologies. Not even a thanks for coming by the Chef or the waitress who knew we were dismayed. Hard earned $60.00 down the drain. Sorrry Michael. I was really hoping to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have eaten breakfast several times at Michael's and found it to be delightful. Aside from the beautiful view, we found the waitresses to be very friendly and efficient. My children and grandchildren loved it...and have asked to have breakfast there every time they visit. The food was great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends went by boat yesterday for breakfast with their 3 children and love it. They said it was a great breakfast. I think I am going to have to give it a try.
    We love the corn fritters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michaels on the bay is awsome, We love the guy who sings and corn nuggest are to die for.
    When my family visit, they only want to go to michaels sit by the dock and watch the sun go down, the guy who owns the place is fun he sings a few songs and we have a great night.
    I would highly reccomend Michaels+++++ 5 stars

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not been there at sunset or heard Michael sing. I think another trip back is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this guy is a dead beat he will not pay his help or his chefs he treats them like dogs for no money

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone call the Board of Health on this guy, PLEASE! That place is a health hazard!!!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Worse 4th of July ever. After paying 45.00 a head we received hot dogs, burnt sausage, ziti with watered down tomato sauce and burnt eggplant. Oh, and watermelon for dessert. ???

    ReplyDelete
  10. I honestly don't know how this place is still open. I'm not hard to please when it comes to a simple meal, but I felt as if I were in a third world country while dining here. The staff seemed disgruntled, the food was not properly prepared, and when I asked for a refund after everyone at the table could not stomach even one bite, I was told by the owner that my request was unacceptable. My advice to the owner: Shut down your business before you face a lawsuit. Even other customers that were leaving the place of business as my party was, were completely upset that they had made a choice to eat there. Next time I want greasy dirty food, I'll find a McDonalds in Peru.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's been a year since we have been here and from the sounds maybe a place we dont want to go. We have only been there 1 other time last year and that wasnt that good. It was a sunday afternoon lunch time and we were a party of 4. There were only 2 other tables there. I had asked to get a fried egg which I was told they dont do breakfast at that time of day. I understood that but asked if I could get a burger no meat just an egg on it instead. I was told they had no eggs. I found this hard to believe since they serve breakfast. Finally the cook agreed to make an egg, how really hard is it make a fried egg. The meal was ok, nothing great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Honestly it was the worst meal I have ever had. And I don't consider myself to be a particularly picky or hard to please person. They didn't have half of the food we requested and the food we did he was horrible. I feel bad being so negative but honestly besides the view, I don't have a positive thing to say. Please think before you waste your money attempting to get a good meal at this place because I can almost guarantee you won't get one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOOKS LIKE SOME PEOPLE HAVE A GRUDGE, I HAQVE BEEN THERE MANY TIMES AND ITS BEEN GREAT, I FIND IT HAD TO BELIEVE SOME OF THESE PEOPLE, MUST BE FRIENDS OF THE MARIAN OWNER WHO LOST THE MARINA FROM NOT PAYING HIS MORTAGE

    ReplyDelete