Sunday, March 30, 2014

Learning espanol from a 11 year old nino


About a week before we came to panama I decided to learn Spanish. At least try to know a few words. We travel to Spanish speaking places all the time and I know a few basic greetings & can ask for a beer along with where is the bathroom but that's it. I got a few apps on my phone, a small dictionary that seems helpful & started daily lessons. This one app has lessons which you can't move on until you get the test right.
After a week I can say the woman (man,girl,boy,dog,cat) eats an apple along with drinks milk plus a few more words & sentences. Not sure how often I am going to be using these sentences but it's a start and I can read most of a menu now in Spanish.
 We got here and for the first few days everyone spoke English. While renting bikes the man had a apple. I was super excited to finally use a sentence I learned, el hombre come una manzana. The man eats an apple. It actually wasn't an apple but another red fruit but close enough for me.


  When we got to Bastimentos I learned from Suyi they speak creole Spanish knew as guari guari. I tried a few words here and there.



Then we had lunch with the little boy who sells the chicken (pollo) empanadas on the beach. We got some from him & his brother the day before & they were really good, spicy.

Actually we were having drinks & pizza at tent camp when he came to sit with us. He is a very sweet 11 yrs old boy named Daniel who every day makes his family money by selling Empadnadas & coconut bread on the beach.

 I got my little dictionary out and we had some conversation the best we could with him knowing a little English & me knowing not much Spanish. But it was fun trying.


We got him a pizza and a coke. Coke no Pepsi - SNL which he learned to say quickly with a smile. I can hear him going up to people saying it already. His 2 sisters joined him & he did share some of his pizza with them.
The little nina is only 2
   It was a rainy day & not too many people to sell his Empanadas to so we got some to go which he up sold to us. Yesterday it was $1.00 for 1 today 3 for $4.00, of course we got them anyway.

When we were leaving they too were walking back to the river to take their canoes home to the village where they live. It's a good 20 minute walk from the beach to the river we had a golf cart and gave them a ride. It is a bumpy ride as the roads are not paved and they loved it, giggling the whole way.

 On a side note the pizza's and the drinks at Palmar tent camp are excellent. Love the vibe.






No comments:

Post a Comment