Friday, January 24, 2014

Snow or beach?

I love snow. Nothing is prettier than looking out and seeing everything all covered in white. I love going for a walk and the sort of quiet you get from the snow, it can be so peaceful. That being said I am reminded that my love for the snow is because I do not have to deal with it, driving, shoveling, snow blowing, I just watch. Maybe a lot of that is true but this week while my friends and family are freezing in the northeast with a foot or more of snow I am very happy to be missing it all.
  I am in flip flops, temperatures in the low 80's spending my time discovering all the different beaches here in St Martin/St Maaten.
  The last time we were here we stayed on Orient Bay which is one of the largest beaches on the island and the most famous. They refer to it as the Tropez of the Caribbean.



The day we went there were 7 cruise ships in port that day and the chairs where all getting lined up ready for the crowds. So a nice morning stroll was it for us and they on to the next beach.

 The very end of Orient Bay is devoted for those who like to bare it all for a good tan. Naturist Beach.


Just down from Orient Bay are two least crowded beaches, Le Galion and Baie De L'Embouchure.


 
Another popular beach is Mullet Beach which is located along the golf course. The first time we tried to go it was so crowded you could not find a parking spot and let alone a place to put your chair. We did go back another day in the morning and the beach was pretty but littered with straws and cigarette butts.



My favorite spot on the island is still Friar's Bay. It is a nice quiet spot, never to crowded, clean, the water is calm, you can snorkel, or just relax and watch the world go by.



 As much as I love snow, I definitely love the beach and island life so much better.





1 comment: