Friday, March 15, 2013

Bioluminescence Tour Grand Cayman

Just last week I saw the movie Life of Pi. There was a scene in it where the water around Pi lights up & a huge whale jumps out of the water glowing & sparkling with luminescence. That is type of sparkling glowing water which is found here in Grand Cayman at Bio Bay. It is one of the few places you can see what is known as bio- luminescence. It is something I really had no knowledge of but something you just have to experience while here.


There are only a few nights each month when the moon isn't giving off too much light that you can go to see this and we were lucky enough to be here at the right time. The trips departs right after sunset and you go by kayak. It's a good distance to get there but one that is both beautiful & peaceful. With not much light the star gazing alone is worth the trip.
Once we got to bio bay the water lite up every time the paddle hit the water. I put my hand in the water and you could see the tiny spangles of light glowing on my skin. It is a spectacular site to see. Some people went swimming and the water around them was bright as if someone had a spot light on them. Unfortunately none of my pics were able to capture it.
As we got back to the beach where we started there was a little boy on the tour about 6 who turns to his mom and says " Mommy I am exhausted". My thoughts exactly after a 2 hours kayaking but it was so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment