Sunday, January 29, 2012

A perfect day in Costa Rica

  What makes a perfect day in Costa Rica?  I am sure it's different for everybody and of course some would say everyday here is perfect but yesterday I think I had my perfect day.
  I woke up to the sounds of howler monkeys  along with the sound of the ocean off in the distance. While drinking my morning coffee I had the pleasure of not only hearing the different birds flying by but seeing them as they landed in the varies trees around the house.
  I made a delicious breakfast with the fresh eggs from the chickens next door along with fresh pineapple & papaya we purchased for the road side truck the day before.  We got a pineapple,papaya, & 2 avocados for $5.00.
   Our morning was spent at the jaguar rescue. We got to see the baby sloths and watched one as he learned how to climb along the trees.



We spotted two other sloths not part of the rescue climbing down the trees. One was male & one female which everyone thought were coming down to meet as they were moving faster than usual. Sloth sex would have been really interesting but they came down on different sides of the fence.
male

female



The unexpected highlight was getting to play with baby howler monkeys. There are  7 babies all about 8 months old. I got to hold one and that alone made my day.I would have taken some pictures but no cameras were aloud in to the enclosure. Monkeys can be playful & love to take things. One jumped on me & went for my hair.
Once done here we went to Punta UVA beach for a swim. This is certainly the most beautiful beach in all of Costa Rica. On a walk along the beach we spotted some howlers in the trees. Got to watch a mother & baby howler playing.



 

The day just keep getting better.

  From there we went to Manzanillo for a swim &some grilled fish for lunch at Maxi's. The beach here is  beautiful.  After lunch we hiked the trail barefooted in the mud to a private little cove full of shells.


  Happy hour or what I now call Toucan hour was in full swing by the time we returned to the house.  We keep hearing the howlers both in the morning & before sunset but not seeing them at the house yet.
  The night finished with a wonderful meal at Koki Beach in downtown Puerto Viejo. I had grilled caribbean lobsters which was outstanding. One of the owners Jorge sent us a chocolate mousse for dessert that was to die for. I hadn't had chocolate this good since my son brought me back some for Belgium.  It was the perfect ending to a perfect day.
Pura Vida!


3 comments:

  1. yes, yes, yes!! la dia perfecto! PV surely isnt for everyone, but it is the shizniz for people like us. living de caribe way - pura vida. pure & real. try sunday brunch at botanica organica, & there's live reggae at chili rojo tonite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous! I am enjoying reading your blog and day dreaming I was there! Enjoy'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic website you have here but I was curious about if you knew of
    any message boards that cover the same topics discussed in this article?
    I'd really like to be a part of online community where I can get opinions from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks a lot!
    my web site :: Banja Vrujci

    ReplyDelete