Monday, February 22, 2016

Weathering out Blizzard 2016 in Costa Rica

My family and friends are preparing for a blizzard in the Northeast that will dump anywhere from a foot to 3 feet of snow, along with ice and I am heading for the beach. As much as I love a good snow storm and this looks like its going to be a good one, I am very happy to be on the beach.
 There are so many beaches to explore from this area that are all within 30 minutes and easy to get to, and most by paved roads.


Potrero Bay is right in front of our place and is great for long morning walks. There is a small fishing village at the far end we enjoyed watching the local fisherman.  There are also a few soda's along the beach which serve good food. The Beach house was very good. It was right on the beach, wonderful sunsets, music and Casado dinner (fresh fish)  for only $8.00.
Another good place right on the beach in Potrero Bay is Soda PlaeMar, we tried it for lunch.

 Playa Grande is where you will find the surfers. It is considered one of the best spots for surfing. It can be a little rough for swimming. This is also the spot that the leatherback turtles come to lay their eggs each year.

Brasilito is just south of Playa Flamingo and is a little Costa Rican Village with a few restaurants. We have visited this little village in years past and enjoyed lobsters beachside. The beach connects to Playa Conchal which is a beach made up of all small crushed shells. If you want to ride a horse on the beach this is the spot to do it.  Its lots of fun, ask for George.

Going further south you will come to the town of Tamarindo. We had stayed here on our first trip to Costa Rica in 2004 and were surprised by the growth that has taken place over the years. The once sleepy little surfing village is now the spot to be. There is no shortage of restaurants, bars, nigh clubs, hotels, and shopping. Playa Tamarindo is a long beach and has some good waves. Good place to learn to surf. We had some beers at Witches Rock which now has their own microbrewery. I tried the witches rock pale ale.

One afternoon on the beach I got to talking to a Costa Rican women. Now when I say talking it was more of just single words. Hola, Como esta ..now what? I say playa hermoso while doing arm motions. She starts answering back in long sentences which I can not understand. Somehow I ask Donde vivir - where do you live. She told me the most beautiful beach is Playa Danta or that she lived there and it was beautiful.  Still not sure how I got this but I am trying to learn a little (poco) Spanish.
Off we went to Playa Danta. It was a little cove beach, great for swimming, snorkeling, and  kayaking. We were there during the weekend and the beach was full of families having picnics.  I see why she told us to come. It is a beautiful spot. Another one of Costa Rica's little hidden beaches. This country is full of them.


The most beautiful beach in all of Costa Rica per George is Playa Flamingo. It is a long white sand beach, crystal clear water, and great for swimming.  This is where I will put my beach chair and weather out Blizzard 2016.




No comments:

Post a Comment