Wednesday, September 18, 2013

On Top of the World at Rocky Moutain National Park


 The sun is shining for the first time since getting here,however, Rocky Mountain National Park is still closed. The access road, trail ridge road is the only road to get to Este Park and they need it clear for emergency vehicles only.  Plus there has been many mudslides & trees down due to the wet ground.  It's disappointing but certainly understand the reasons why. There are a few trails that are open, like the trail in town to the look out at the top of Shadow Mountain.
Now if I would have thought this through I probably wouldn't have hike it. I have seen the Mountain and even through the sign said top I am not sure I fully understood just how high I was going to hike.




The trail starts at Grand Lake which is at elevation 8415 feet and climbs to 9900 feet in 3.5 miles, plus 1.4 miles to get to the pass, that's 5 miles one direction.


We started out at 10:45 and estimated we summit at 1:00pm. The first 1.4 wasn't too bad with nice view along the lake. Once we hit the turn it was all up hill.
It's funny what you think about along the way, if a tree falls in the forest does it make a noise?

 What if I twist an ankle how do I get back? Do I really want to see a mountain loin on this pass?

Does anyone know we are hiking this? I can make it to the top?

We got to a point which seemed like a summit yet the tress were still over head.

 It was approaching 1:00 when we heard voices, hikers coming down the mountain. They told us .7 miles to go. At this point we were feeling the climb.  I was surprised the altitude was not bothering me at all but George was really effected by it.  At each turn the climb was getting steeper.


I was starting to feel we should stop and turn around but the end had to be close either that or there was no look out. Then a couple of park rangers past us on horses. They told us 10 more minutes.  The trail gets steeper and 10 minutes turns into 40, at each switchback we think we are at the end only to find the climb getting higher. Our energy is spent yet we have to make the top if nothing else then to sit down for a while. Then around the final turn we see the look out, oh thank God.


 We Made it! I am at the top of the world and I got here by hiking. The views are spectacular.


 As tired as I was feeling it was so worth it.



That is the town of Grand Lake where we started from

The only problem is what goes up has to come back down. Now we still had a 5 mile hike down. Let me say, down is better than up but still exhausting.



We climb to the top of one of the Rocky Mountains. Epic!
It took us 5:45 hours 
Total 10 Miles 
Length climbing:3.5 miles (5.6 kilometers)
Elevation Range:
8,399' - 9,903'
Elevation change: 1,801 feet



This is a picture of Shadow Mountain from across the lake. We Start all the way to the left and climb to the top where you can just see the look out



1 comment:

  1. We hiked the trail in the spring. Can be difficult but well worth the view. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete