Friday, February 3, 2012

Hiking Chahuila National Park

We set out around 8:30am to spend the day in search of wild life & some time on the beach. We decided to enter the park at Puerto Vargas instead of the entering on the town side. We had been to the town of Chahuila the other day & it seemed very crowded.
 The path takes you along the coast with beautiful coves to stop to take a dip or do some shelling. We did both along the way & I got many treasures. We saw a couple of sloths up in the trees but no monkeys.  We reached the point which is half way between both entrances, my batteries went dead in my camera plus we still haven't seen any monkeys so I thought we should go further.





Can you see the face in the nest?
  The trail changes on this side taking you away from the coast into a thicker jungle. We came across what I called 3 sloth tree. There above us were 3 sloths all in the same tree. I really wanted batteries now, town had to be close. On we went.
  Finally a troop of howlers. We watched a while as they went from tree to tree, stopping at times to look at us.
  The path takes you back along a lovely stretch of white sand beach. We could see town but it was still a ways off. We still hadn't seen a Capuchin. We were warned not to feed them & don't leave your stuff as they take whatever they get their little paws on. I am thinking where there are people there has to be Capuchins plus we came this far what's another mile or so. George decided it was dumb not have it go in a loop & maybe we should get a cab back.
From town the point is the half way mark
  At last we made it to town, found batteries, and sat down for a cold beer.  We were afraid to sit to long as we may never get up to hike back. I still had monkey's to find.



 The hike was well worth it.

We found a couple different troops of howlers.
Finally saw 2 Capuchins.




This is after the half way point looking towards town


As happy as I was we made the hike I was also getting very tried & a bit hungry. At one point I was leading the trail and George actually told me to slow down, not something I here often as I am usually way behind.


We found 3 sloth tree which now only had 2 sloths. I don't think it is common for them to be together.


All together we saw 11 sloths, 5 different troops of howlers, and 2 Capuchins all which has made me very happy plus I was the one who has spotted all but one sloth. George spotted some monkey prints,1 sloth, & monkey poop.

I was bragging about my nature finding abilities which means looking up not so much down when I tripped on a branch going face first. George was hiking ahead & had no idea. I pick myself up no real injury just my pride and a skinned knee.Good thing I packed that first aid kit.
  Finally back at the car 5 hours later and a good 9 1/2 mile hike behind. Is it bed time yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment