Monday, October 10, 2011

Churchill Canada - The polar bear capital of the world


One afternoon my mother called me to ask if I knew anything about a place in Canada, Churchill where every year the town’s population doubles but not with people but polar bears. She told me she saw it on TV and would like to go there. This isn’t my usual toes in the sand kind of trip but I am always up for an adventure and this one had my interest now as well.

   I found that Churchill is a small town located on the edge of the Arctic and the Hudson Bay. Churchill’s coastline is the reason for the Polar Bears. Each year at the end of September until mid-November the polar bears make their way thru the town of Churchill on their way to the banks of the Hudson Bay where they wait for the ice to freeze. For the polar bears it’s about hunting seals for the visitors it’s one of the few human settlements where they can be observed in the wild.

  After some careful planning my mother and I are heading to Churchill in less than 2 weeks to see these magnificent animals. Time to dig out all the winter cloths.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to Churchill for a two day bear safari in mid november. I am looking forward to seeing your updates.

    ReplyDelete