Monday, May 2, 2011

One of my favorite Kentucky Derby Moments, Remembering Eight Belles

        For the past couple of years we have gone to Philly Park to watch the Kentucky Derby. There is a big picnic grove where you can watch the races plus bring in your own food & drinks.  Post time is around 11am so you get all day racing and then watch the Derby right there. Each year it gets bigger and really is great fun.

   The race I will never forget is the 134th Kentucky Derby, 2008. The week before the race I just loved Eight Belles. She was the only filly running but not a favorite to win, in fact the odds were 13 -1. Big Brown was the favorite 5-2.  Still Eight Belles was my girl, she had the look.  Eight Belles was racing #5 and Big Brown #20 which is my birthday. I had to play an exacta, along with a few other bets. The race itself wasn’t the most exciting one as Big Brown had the lead winning by 4 ¾ lengths but coming right behind him for second was my girl Eight Belles making me very happy. I was jumping up and down, yelling like crazy, it was the most excited I had been in while. With that came the heart break, Eight Belles broke both her ankles and they put her down right there on the track. The place got silent and I started to cry. The wonderful feeling of winning disappeared with the pain of watching this beautiful animal get put down. All this emotion in a matter of seconds, made  for a race I will never forget. 

What was your most memorable Kentucky Derby?  I would love to hear your stories.


he 134th Kentucky Derby Payout Schedule
Program
Number
Horse Name Win Place Show
20 Big Brown $ 6.80 $5.00 $4.80
5 Eight Belles - $10.60 $6.40
16 Denis of Cork - - $11.60

No comments:

Post a Comment