Monday, March 7, 2016


 I am very comfortable in the rainforest. In fact I feel very much at home being surrounded by all the nature. I love hiking trails, walking around the yards of the houses and discovering new things. There is always something new. Some are beautiful

 

and just creepy.



A few I just don't want to see. The bullet Ant is top of my lists for not seeing.


  I read about these a few years back and it was the only thing that scared me.
The bite or string is said to be extremely painful, like being shot. The pain goes on for 24 hours and feels like you are on fire.  It is exactly a inch long, not that I got close enough to measure and if seen, kill it. I have seen 5, all of which George has whacked hard with a shoe.

 
  I read there are 20,000 different kinds of spiders in Costa Rica. On this trip we saw not only the biggest but the most deadliest.

 
  Walking on the trail around the house we came across a Tarantula. It is big, creepy, cool, & shy. It wants nothing to do with us but I will be shaking out my towels and looking in my shoes after seeing this guy.

 
  In the pool house is a bunch of bananas that are hanging to get ripe. The monkeys have an eye on them but that another story.
 
  George was using the hose when he calls me to come look at this cool spider in the bananas.
 
  We take some pics and then I go google what we got here. Comparing the picture and reading the behavior of this spider give me a whole new fear.

 
What is hanging out in the bananas is a Brazilian wandering spider. The Guinness book of works records in 2010 had this as the most deadliest spider on the planet. It is the most venomous & aggressive spider in the world. 
 Oh yea, right here.
 
 It does not spin a web and during the day sleeps in banana plants, dark places, & found near houses. Sounds like our boy. At night it wanders looking for prey, mice, lizards, & insects. 
So much for night swimming. Having this guy wandering around at night is not giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling. To think I was afraid of a bullet ant.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment