Thursday, June 9, 2011

Cabo San Lucas

   When I first was starting out as a Travel Agent I remember looking through a travel magazine and seeing a picture of a couple sleeping on a balcony under the stars with the ocean right in front of them.  I thought this place is for me. The picture was taken in Cabo San Lucas but no resort was listed. I did some homework and found Cabo was a little fishing village located on the tip of the Baja Peninsula in Mexico.  It didn’t take me long to sell the idea of going to my husband who loves to fish. That first trip was back in 1992 and started our love for Cabo. Not knowing much about the area and way before the internet as we know it today, I booked us at the Presidente InterContinental. It was a beautiful resort but when we arrived I found we were actually in San Jose del Cabo than downtown Cabo where I had wanted to be. We had a wonderful dinner at the resort after which I worked on moving us closer to town. Not an easy task back in the day but I was able to move us to hotel Solamar. The next morning as we pulled up to the reception area at Solamar we were amazed at the view. It was all open with the pool right there looking out over the white sand beach and the ocean. We know we were in the right spot for us. We got to our rooms which were on the smaller size but when we stepped out on the balcony I realized this was the picture from the magazine I saw years before. I had found the place.

 


 Our first trip was just a long weekend of which we fished 2 full days. The fishing was great and what we caught we took into town to a local restaurant where they cooked the fish for you. The price was very low, I believe $10.00 per person which included side dishes and a bottle of tequila. This is something that is still done in Cabo but the prices have gone up for the service. Our last trip there we were with a large group and staying at an all inclusive but we still went into town to eat 3 of the nights with the fish we caught. Downtown Cabo is a place you want to explore and try some of the many wonderful restaurants in town. When we first started going it seemed that in a short period of time you knew everyone in town. We would be at dinner and later dancing the night away at El Squid row we would see our waiter along with many other people we came to know in town. One year we were walking down the street and a guy came up to us and told George he remembered him from 2 years before. The town has grown over the years adding more bars, restaurants, and shops but the small town feel is still there. The locals are still warm & friendly. I loved going into the giggling marlin after a day of fishing with all the other fisherman and listen to all the stories. Not to mention watching people be hung like a Marlin.


 

On one of our trips Van Halen paid a surprise visit to Cabo Wabo playing for a few 100 people who were there that night.


  Cabo today has become much more than just a little fishing village. Don’t get me wrong this still is a world class sport fishing spot but for those who don’t fish there are plenty of other options. The road from San Jose del Cabo to Cabo San Lucas where once was nothing is now known as the “Corridor” lined with first-class oceanfront resorts. Golfing here has become as big as fishing with some of world’s finest championship courses along the coast line.

Whether you want a laid back atmosphere or be totally pampered Cabo offers it all and the reason some many return year after year. Our next trip is coming up this November and I am counting the days. I will be taking a large group of friends for a week and after which I will stay a few days on our own. 








 

1 comment: