Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Furthur Binghamton, NY

    Last night the small town of Binghamton was the spot to be for Dead Fans. Furthur was in town for one night at the Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena. The Dead has not played here since 1977 so everyone was ready for a memorable show.  Prior to the show State Street turned into Shakedown Street with vendors, people hanging out, music playing it was a good place to be. The local bars were filled making it a very fun scene. 


   Furthur went old school for this concerts, all general admission. We haven’t been to a show like this in years. The arena wasn’t all that big so there wasn’t really a bad seat in the house.

Once the lights went down, the band took the stage opening with Passenger going into the Music never stopped, I was so happy to be here. They played one of my favorite songs Sugaree and Jeff was awesome on the keys. During Bertha for a split second I almost thought it was Jerry singing. 

   They opened the second set with Truckin which is always fun, into New Speedway Boogie.  Then they went into Cosmic Charlie something we have never heard live. Hard to believe since my first show in 1980 until now there are still some songs I have never heard live. One of the reasons you keep going to shows. They play a different show each night. You can see them 10 nights in a row and never hear the same song twice.

Phil sings The Mountain Song one of Furthur’s songs, which I really enjoyed. Scarlet Begonias into Fire what needs to be said about that combo, love it. Once again my thoughts went to Jerry during standing on the Moon, always loved the lyrics. They closed the show with And we bid you Goodnight, a perfect ending to a great night and show. 
Encore U.S Blues the place went crazy.



The road trip was worth every minute. I had a smile on my face all night long. 

Thank you Bobby, Phil, John, Jeff, Joe, Sunshine, and Jeff
may the music never stop  

Full set list

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog. Just a minor correction: The Grateful Dead's last show in Binghamton was 4-12-83 at this same venue. Wish I could have been there for Furthur (and all those GD shows too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I never looked it up just went by what Phil said at the concert that the last time they were there was 1977 guess he forgot 83 or I just heard wrong. I did look it up and great set list from that show. It is a great venue for sure.

    ReplyDelete