Monday, December 6, 2010

Remembering the Philadelphia Spectrum

     I was down the Flyers game on Saturday and saw the big hole in the building. That building brings to mind so many memories. The first time I can remember being there was my first concert David Cassidy in 1972. I was only 9 yrs. My father took my best friend and me. The concert was great and we screamed as little girls do. The best part was after the show my father somehow managed to get us to meet him. We were so star stuck we couldn’t even tell him our names.                     
    That was the start of so many concerts and events there for me.  I saw Fleetwood Mac, Yes, The Who, Springsteen, Madonna, Phil Collins, Howard Jones, Diana Ross, Inxs,Peter Gabriel,  mmr’s festivals, and so many more. My first Springsteen shows were in 1979 with all my girlfriends.  I also saw him for all the last concerts in 2009. He still rocked the place and we danced just as we did 1979.
  My first Dead show was August 1980. That was one I will never forget. We went with no tickets and for around $20.00 plus my cooler filled with beer we got 3 tickets into the show. The encore that night was one more Saturday night and I was now a Dead head.  From that night to the present there hasn’t been many shows I was not a part of at the spectrum. My favorite night was 1987. We had first row of the second floor so all night we stood at the rile dancing. When Spenser Davies came out singing with them just made it all the more special for us. After the show we went to the Four Seasons with no money and ended up talking to Phil and Brent via the house phones. It was one special night. Years later with a bit more money we stayed at the Four Seasons and had beers with Bobby.  There were so many great Dead shows over the years and each one holds its own special memory.
    Outside of concerts there were many Flyers games along the way. I was there when the Flyers played the Russian.  In the 90’s became a season ticket holder.
  I have laughed, cried, cheered, danced, and sang me heart out within those walls. Thanks for many great memories that can never be forgotten

No comments:

Post a Comment